Monday, October 15, 2007

Apparently 25 Feet Isn't Enough

In order to comply with I-901, the University has adopted a new smoking policy which is currently being implemented. The "designated smoking area" for the law school is located here, all the way over by the Burke museum. I am not an expert on smoker's rights laws, but under I-901, smoking is only prohibited 25 feet from entrances to public places such as the law school. Granted, the old smoker's congregation near the law school patio was less than 25 feet and thus violated I-901. However, the current location is several hundred feet from the main entrance to the law school. This policy does not sseem to be a reasonable interpretation of the new laws.

The law was passed to infringe on the liberty of smoker's in the name of protecting us non-smokers. But do I really need such protection? It makes me sad that my smoking classmates must hike through the rain today if they want to legally light up.

Overview of I-901 [Davis Wright Tremaine]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why does it make you sad that your smoking classmates must hike through the rain today if they want to legally light up? No need to worry! They frequently use http://proofreading-services.org/proofreader.php in order to prepare their home works, thus, their life is totally simplified!