Thursday, June 01, 2006

"It was kind of almost like the enemy was using me for propaganda."

Sergeant Peter Damon is suing Michael Moore for using pieces of an NBC television interview without permission in "Fahrenheit 9/11," saying it twisted what he was saying into anti-war and anti-Bush propaganda. Shockingly, the twist of the words was given the assist by our very own Saddam-supporting Representative Jim McDermott. Sgt. Damon was discussing his injuries, when Congressman McDermott was spliced in to talk about all the people we've "left behind." Nothing could have been further from the truth (not that the truth has ever bothered Mr. Moore).

I hope he wins. I hope he doesn't settle. What Michael Moore did by using this guy's words out of context is disgusting and exploitive. This is how the hard core anti-war left supports the troops. And I imagine Sgt. Damon has some time on his new artificial hands now days, and plenty of lawyers willing to gamble some of their time to take down this piece of garbage.

But I do have to wonder. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to sue over this "documentary." I hope there isn't a statute of limitations that has run, or that the wait will hurt Sgt. Damon's showing of actual damages.

And because the clips were from and interview with NBC, I hope that Sgt. Damon didn't sign some kind of full release and license to them, so they could use and distribute the clip however they want. On the other hand, even if that is the case, I don't know if NBC would really want the kind of publicity that places them on the same level of journalistic integrity as Moore.

I'm assuming that these questions were already asked and answered by the attorneys bringing suit. Hopefully it's not a settlement bluff.

Good luck, Sgt. It's an interesting legal question, too - I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

No comments: