Monday, November 06, 2006

Executive War Powers - What Did You Think?

Was Professor Turner correct about the intended scope of the Executive near-monopoly on war powers? Even if he was, should a "living constitution" limit those powers now? Can we trust Congress to act decisively or with necessary secrecy in the arena of foreign affairs? Tell us what you thought.

For my part, I want to note that anyone who had Professor Allen for 1L Constitutional Law did, in fact, discuss the power of the Constitution's command that "The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America," and that this command came with extraordinary and nearly exclusive power over international affairs. I think it's fortunate at this difficult time in our history that President Bush has fought to maintain and reclaim this Executive duty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that you planned a panel that conflicted with the SSBD's from Lawyer to CEO panel, that's what I think! I don't know if I can ever forgive you Orrin.
Harrumph!